The First Presbyterian Church was founded in 1868. After suffering two fires, the current church, designed by Chicago architect Daniel Burnham - constructed from limestone - was completed in 1895. In 2001, Schuler Shook successfully completed the lighting renovation for the Sanctuary as part of the architectural renovation led by Goss Pasma Architects. The thoughtful lighting design included rejuvenation of the existing lighting - chandeliers, sconces, and cylindrical downlights - as well as integration of new lighting to highlight architectural details and support the functional aspects of the church. The inspiring lighting design earned Schuler Shook both an IALD Award of Merit and an IES International Illumination Design Award.
"After more than fourteen years since completion, the Sanctuary still receives rave reviews from everyone who visits. The flexibility of the enlarged chancel has been utilized in so many additional ways beyond the basic arrangements originally contemplated, yet the basic illumination settings have provided more than enough light in every situation. When necessary, the lighting has been modified utilizing the simple architectural touch screen at our balcony control center. The lighting of the stained glass windows from inside has provided a beautiful glow to the illuminated exterior of the building, while serving as a very effective "night light" when the sanctuary is otherwise dark inside. Bravo to Schuler & Shook for the outstanding lighting results!" Neil Anderson, project representative for First Presbyterian Church.